Andre Bazin Reading

After reading the insert from Bazin and listening in on the discussion from class, I have certainly formed an opinion on Bazin's words about photography. To my understanding, Bazin was trying to convey two simple messages, that photography is beautiful and that photography is psychologically sound. Bazin stated that photography can surpass art in creative power, which I very much agree with. I do believe that it is more difficult to take a beautiful image than paint a beautiful painting. In order for one to capture a beautiful photograph, one must first find a beautiful subject, which could very based on individual's opinion on beauty. Bazin also stated that photography is more psychology sound than a painting. This statement confused me at first, but after I was given the example of using a picture of a subject with a murder weapon versus a drawing of a subject with a murder weapon, it made much more sense to me. I also agree with Bazin, in saying that more people trust the elements of a photograph than in a painting, for they know that the elements of a photograph are true, to some extent.

I do not agree with Bazin's statement that photography is not utilitarian anymore. Utilitarianism is described as a doctrine that actions are right if they are useful for the majority. I believe that a photograph is still and will continue to be right for the majority. Most people enjoy a good photograph, and though a photograph might damage a few people's pride and reputation, a photograph is typically enjoyed in masses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tom Gunning - An Aesthetics of Astonishment

Dorsky's Devotional Cinema