Dorsky's Devotional Cinema

As I read into this interesting article, it became more and more clear what Dorsky was trying to convince the reader to believe. From my understanding, Dorsky was attempting to convince the reader that film was more than simply entertainment for a few hours. Dorsky was trying to convince readers that film had visceral qualities, even to the point of healing and causing illness.

I had never thought of film the way Dorsky described it. However, after reading the points he was making, I related with some of them. Most relatable to myself was the feeling after the film was over the everyone in the theater gets. I have left films where everyone was silent walking in and talking to each other walking out. I have also seen films that left people silent and sad as they were walking out, including myself. I have seen films where that feeling of sadness lasted for days, as I was unable to shake the memories from the film I had just seen. Though this is a feeling that I am sure many people have experienced, I had never really thought about how one feels after the film is over.

Dorsky's points were all very interesting to think about, and though I have never personally experienced most of them, I am sure that there is some truth in them to the above average film-lover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tom Gunning - An Aesthetics of Astonishment

Dorsky's Devotional Cinema